Monday, August 11, 2008

Website temporarily down

I somehow always manage to forget that my domain registration expires before my web hosting does. As such, my site went down sometime today, and I'll need to get Chris to help me bring it back up tonight.

I'm probably going to switch hosts this month, too. I don't know if there will be any downtime involved in that. I've been more or less content with the host that I've had for the past few years, but Chris says the host he uses for his business is much better, and since he does more back-end stuff with my site, I feel I should be using the host that has the options he likes.

While I was quiet all last week, I was getting some things done: beading rivolis, writing my book, considering a second blog project, and preparing to adopt a dog. Yes, as little as my cats will like it, it is time to add a canine member to this household. There are a few more things I need to do to get the house ready for a dog, but in the meantime I spent most of Saturday reading Dogs For Dummies. I learned a lot of nice little things that will make dog-ownership easier for Chris and I, and better for our pets, too. Stay tuned for more on this story as it progresses.

One other thing I did was finally go see The Dark Knight with Chris. I enjoyed the movie, but I didn't find it to be quite as awesome as everyone said it was. In fact, I found that it really dragged on, especially at the end. I guess it didn't help that by the time we factored in the trailers, we were in the theater for nearly 3 hours to see the movie. It practically needed an intermission, though I suppose that might have removed some of the tension from the movie. Over all, while it was good, I didn't find myself wowed like I expected to be. Hellboy II gave me much more bang for my buck.

Today is feeling like a good day for some beading, so I think I'll go do that now.

5 comments:

  1. Chris ought to be able to move your files from one site to the other fairly quickly, so it shouldn't be more than another day, if that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the big issue is getting my stupid friggin' domain straightened out. I'll probably have to e-mail you about that drama tomorrow -- from my AOL addy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. laughing...I've been thinking of adding a cat to the dog-centric household when I get to my new house! Best canine advice I got from a stranger: take pictures, they grow up fast. Best canine advice I got from reading too many books about dogs: a tired dog is a good dog. Best advice I got from my dog: feed me the best food you can afford.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm a dog lover and can only say - it's about time! You'll love having a dog around the house - though you must be prepared to give attention. They're not like cats in that area. Then again, they love to play and please you, which makes up for the need for attention :) Good luck on the new hosting. I'm hoping to have my new business site up by end of the month and hope it's not a drag. Great news about getting further on your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the dog encouragement, you two :) I grew up with dogs and cats (and birds and fish and rodents and reptiles, and even livestock when I was really young!), but for the first few years we were married, I was happy with just my cats. They fit in the apartment(s) and they suited our lifestyle.

    However, my Mom got a puppy a few years ago and I started thinking maybe I'd want a dog... and then I started dog-sitting for a friend and I realized how much I really missed canine companionship! I love my kitties, and Topher has a very dog-like need for attention, but I really want to have a pet who I can take on walks, play games with, and teach tricks to.

    I fully expect to have to give my dog a LOT of attention and exercise! I plan to get a corgi or corgi-mix, and the book I read suggested 1/2 a day of aerobic exercise, be it jogging or fetch, for a herding dog (or an hour for border collies, which I can attest to! I take the ones I sit for 2 brisk 1/2 hour walks a day and then they still have tons of energy to wrestle each other)

    ReplyDelete