Thursday, January 10, 2008

Yippy!

I'm excited, because I'm going to San Diego Comic Con this year! As you may already know, I write a gaming column for the e-zine Collector Times. Our incredibly awesome editor wants a strong CT presence at the convention this year, and is generously covering the hotel rooms for her staffers. Comic Con is a lot of fun, and I believe that this past year, I posted here about how bummed I was at not going. So I'm very happy, because not only do I get to go this year, but it's very likely that I'll get to meet several people who I've only known on-line until now. Yay!

Oh yeah, and it's an excuse to wear COSTUMES! By then I might even be sewing my own!

Speaking of which, today I get to go to JoAnn's and pick up some fabric so I can try to learn how to sew. You know what is going to be fun? Cutting out patterns with my cats. Not only does Topher like to help me craft (remember this picture? and this one?), but he is a tissue paper fiend. Lira is a little more laid back about it, at least, and I can probably count on her preferring to sit in Chris's lap. Note to self: make sure to only cut out patterns while Chris is sitting at his desk.

Yesterday, during our Legend of the Five Rings game, I did a lot of kumihimo. I haven't measured, but my cord has to be about 30 inches, so I think I'm going to make it into a two-strand necklace, with the skull hanging from the bottom strand. I just need to decide on a bail design. Anyway, it's kind of cool. The yarns were all variegated colors, so the cord looks different every few inches. Plus it has a lot of texture due to the different types of yarn. It also reminded me about how fun kumihimo is for gaming, so I'm going to have to do more of it in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck. I'm looking forward to hearing about your sewing adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comic Con! With a Press Pass! Boy are you lucky, girl!

    I stopped sewing before I got Giorgio, my tissue fiend, but when you get used to cutting out, you'll be able to do it very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina, so far they're more like mis-adventures! I'll post about them tomorrow before the game :)

    Marilee, I've been to Comic Con with a press badge before and it was great! I'm looking forward to doing it again. If the web comics artists have a con-within-the-con again, my plan is to cover that for CT.

    ReplyDelete