Thursday, January 17, 2008

The five minute necklace.

The necklace that I made yesterday with my bat bead was actually quicker to make than even the simplest earrings. My original plan was to just hang him from a pre-made box chain, but I'd worn that chain last week with the same shirt I was wearing, and it was an awkward length. That was when I noticed the 12 inches of over-priced chain that I'd bought to use as anklet extenders, then stopped using when I bought some chain wholesale. I'd been reserving the chain to make something for myself, as it was really to pricey to use in anything I wanted to sell.

The nice thing about being slender is that 12 inches of chain plus a bead that's a couple inches wide, plus a clasp, equals a choker. I cut the chain in half, used two jump rings to attach it to the loops in little batty's wings, and attached an S hook to the ends of the chain. Instant necklace! It's such a nice, clean, simple design that I'm going to leave it like that until I come up with a fun way to really utilize the three-part nature of the bat. And the best part is, I can repurpose all of the other parts when that time comes.

As a warning, I have a big custom order to fill, so next week's updates may be a bit small. We'll see what I can cook up between bouts of working on the order.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhh, I bought the other one! Don't they make you smile? I love mine and want to hang him on my desk at my day job. (excuse to giggle!) Melanie rocks! Bat girls unite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad that the other bat found a good home, too :D I've worn mine 3 days in a row now.

    Did you see the 3 bat necklaces that I made last year? They're all in my flickr album:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7845985@N03/

    ReplyDelete