Tuesday, January 08, 2008

About those fish.

Here's Swimmingly! which was posted on my website yesterday. For some reason, I started collecting fish beads. I think it was because I liked lampworked ones (glass makes such pretty fins), and from there I just picked up lots of others. The Green Girl bead is just one of the many that I've purchased at various shows and shops around the country.

As I may have mentioned in the past, I don't really watch TV. However, when we were in CA for the holidays, we were at the hotel on Christmas night, no internet, The Difference Engine was boring me, and I'd finished all my beading projects. So we found a marathon of Blue Planet and we watched a few episodes. They kept showing all these shoals of fish. Just like flocks of birds, it's fascinating to watch an entire group of animals move as one. It's also amazing to see a whale come by and eat the entire lot of them in one big gulp! Yikes!

This is why I have a love-hate relationship with the ocean. There's so many cool, beautiful, and unusual creatures. There's also a whole lot of creepy, scary, unbelievable creatures. I'm still going to stay on land, but I love to watch specials about underwater life. I think the coolest part, though, was watching these seabirds that could dive deep, deep into the water in search of fish. Seriously, what is weirder than watching a flock of birds under the water?

So yeah, Blue Planet was pretty cool. Dad was watching the same marathon, so the next day we kept saying "Did you see...?" "Wasn't... awesome!?" It's pretty obvious where I got my fascination for marine life :)

2 comments:

  1. That turned out great. I love Green Girl beads.

    I've never seen Blue Planet; sounds interesting. Have you seen any of the episodes of Planet Earth? It sounds similar, but mostly takes place on land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any of Planet Earth, though I did see a commercial for it and it looked pretty awesome. I think it might have been done by the same people... or by competitors trying to get a piece of the same pie :)

    ReplyDelete