Friday, November 28, 2008

So, I decided not to have a sale.

Here we are, on the much-vaunted Black Friday, and after the weekend is up, we have the so-called Cyber Monday. And you know what? I find that I really don't care. In past years, I've held sales to try to capitalize on these days, and it hasn't really amounted to much. I'm not some mega-retailer who can afford to offer serious deep discounts to lure customers in, and I think that's all people are really interested in.

I find myself increasingly fed up with hype, whether it's the fiction of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, or hearing that some new website is the "next great thing" for selling. I'm spending so much time on-line trying to network and self-promote that I have little time left for making jewelry. It's a little ridiculous, and I'm starting to streamline things to make my life easier. Don't worry, nothing is going to change at this blog. Although many people claim that blogs are a great marketing tool, I love mine just because it's nice to express myself and connect with friends old and new. Even if it never netted me a single sale, I'd keep it around.

I have some interesting plans for my business, which came about during a brain-storming session with Chris yesterday, but I don't have time to implement them before the holidays. As such, I'm just going to do what I've been doing now. Making jewelry, listing it on Etsy, and posting links in a few places. If people like it and buy it, great. If not, well, I have bigger things to stress about right now, like getting my house into order and keeping on top of all the little projects that I take on.

And now I'm off to do a little on-line holiday shopping, where I'll be buying what I had in mind for people, regardless of whether it's on sale.

3 comments:

  1. Black Friday has turned up some deaths anyway, so you don't need that. I'll be interested in the new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reluctantly launched a sale at my site today and you are right... it doesn't do too much (shhh!) And, when I had sales at my retail shop, it just made my customers wait until that moment to pounce, which would do a number on my nerves. So yes... for special, one-of-a-kind boutique items... a sale, isn't always smart. Kudos to you for sticking to your guns :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the support! And yes, the Black Friday sale-related deaths are a huge turn-off. Who wants to be associated with that madness?

    ReplyDelete