Saturday, May 03, 2008

A week of reading.

I finished Iron Council before bed last night, a week after I started reading it. I've been keeping myself pretty busy, so I only had a couple of hours a day to read. In a way, that was better than my usual preferred marathon reading. It gave me more time to absorb what I was reading, and built up more anticipation for the next night. I have to say that over all, I really enjoyed the book.

I have no lack of reading material right now. There are 4 SteamPunk magazines still awaiting my attention, plus a collection of Victorian fairy tales, and a Hawaiian mythology book that is the size of a good dictionary. All that, plus I'm expecting new issues of Faerie Magazine and Simply Beads. I doubt I'll find myself bored anytime soon!

I'd just started my night's work on Locked Away when Chris came home and distracted me with something called a "Chai X-Treme." Now that I'm hyped up on caffeine and sugar, it's time to get back to beading!

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading Cory's Little Brother and I'm not as thrilled as others are. He has the protagonist essentially lecture to the reader about hacks and stuff, and I already know about this stuff. I'm 53, surely most teens know it, too. He has some interesting errors, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hacks like computer hacks, or hacks as in lousy writers? ;) Either way, I don't like the protagonist to lecture me about anything. Even if I agree with what the author is trying to say through the character, I find that it's usually preachy and heavy-handed. If there's a point to be made, I prefer it to be woven into the events of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hacks like computers -- it's about a terrorist blowing up the SF Bay Bridge and how DHS takes over the city like a warzone.

    The protagonist/narrator is telling us what happened and stops every now and then to explain things and I know I've done that, but I try only to explain to people who don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds rather annoying. If there needs to be an explanation of how something works in a book, there's got to be a less clunky way to integrate it.

    ReplyDelete