Once again, it feels good to be beading a lot. Last night I finished stitching down the rest of the teal beads, and then today I did all of the amber. I finished that early enough in the afternoon that I was also able to cut it out and glue the backing on. There's also a piece of cardboard to help keep it stiff, and a secret message hidden inside. There's something about the sandwich-y layers of bead embroidery that drives me to hide things inside. And by things, I mean cookie fortunes! I'm weird, I know, but at least it's a harmless weird.
I find this current stage very exciting. All that excess felt has been cut away and the shape has been allowed to fully emerge. And next, I move into new territory -- edging the piece! I've never gotten this far on a large bead embroidery project. I'll probably wait and move onto that tomorrow. It's getting a little late, and I like to be fresh when I try out something new.
And by the way, The Art of Bead Embroidery by Serafini and Kummli has been invaluable to this project. I already had a couple of books on the technique, but this one is just a cut above the rest. While all of my other beading books have been packed away for the impending move, I kept it out to make sure I could progress nicely on my project.