Monday, May 10, 2010

Book reviews coming up

I'm pretty worn out from the gym and shopping and such, so this is just a quick post to let you know that on my shopping trip, I acquired two more bead books, so my upcoming review list is:

Laura McCabe's Embellished Beadweaving (squeeee!)

Crystal Brilliance by Anna Elizabeth Draegar

Seed Bead Fusionby Rachel Nelson Smith

Enchanted Adornments by Cynthia Thornton

While I was at JoAnn's, I also picked up their class catalog so I can hopefully get into a Sewing 101 class and get myself on the path to making my own costumes. My sewing machines have languished unused for too long!

6 comments:

  1. Oh! I want to know about the Laura McCabe book. Lately, I've become extra super persnickety about the bead books I buy.

    Let me know if it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From just flipping through it, it looks really good. Lots of eye candy, and lots of descriptions of embellishments that you can add to whatever you want, and then projects built around those techniques.

    I really, really want her necklace with all the spiky stones and the beetle elytra. It's as if it was made for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.....I'll have to see if the local B&N has it.

    I think just about everything she makes was meant for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only she would realize that they were meant for us and ship them our way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose we'll have to let her know. I'm sure it's just on over sight on her part.

    What did you think of "Enchanted Adornment?" Is it mostly stringing projects?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't looked through it entirely yet, but it's a lot of mixed-media stuff... stringing and wire work and resin and shrink plastic and more. There's a project where you make wire wings and then use tissue paper and resin or glue or something to fill them and it's SO PRETTY! I mostly bought it for the eye candy, don't know if I'll do any of the projects.

    ReplyDelete