Tuesday, March 24, 2009

You're joking, right?

It's been a while since I posted about the saga of my attempts to get erthefae.com back. Some months ago I tried to get it back, only to be informed that the person squatting on it wanted $800. For a small business like mine, that's a ridiculous amount of money, so I simply couldn't purchase it. I was also too busy to pursue arbitration, so I sulked.

Yesterday, one of my husband's co-workers decided that he was going to take up my cause. He put in a small offer on my domain, I guess hoping it would prompt them to offer it to one of us at a more reasonable price. Instead, they informed him that they now wanted $5,000! According to them, erthefae.com is valued at $8-10k, due to high ranking in searches. Yes. That's right. Based on the content of my website, I was highly ranked on searches for the names Erthe Fae and AJ Reardon, and things like Spiral Bracelets. Funny, that wasn't making me a lot of money. I don't think it would make anyone a lot of money.

So it's time to finally pursue arbitration. ICANN's website is full of legalize, though, so I'm going to have to wait until later (ie, when Chris is not on his endless work-day conference calls) so that I can focus on reading it.

I have to admit, there have been times when I've considered just throwing aside the Erthe Fae name and coming up with something different, but I've been using this for 10 years, so I guess I should stick with it.

In the meantime, I'm working on a beaded flower. It's good to actually be beading again. I need to stop letting things get in the way of my work.

2 comments:

  1. i have heard of this happening, but never actually "seen" it - i am sorry to hear about it.

    let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amber Leilani. My next step is to find a lawyer and send them a nastygram.

    ReplyDelete