Thursday, August 23, 2012

Feminist Photos Kickstarter!

Let me tell you a bit more about my totally awesome photographer friend, Liora K. She took all those beautiful images you've been seeing in my shop, but she doesn't stop at fashion photography! She has done a number of artistic projects as well, and is currently trying to raise funds to embark on a cross-country road trip to photograph a feminist in each and every state! You can learn more about the project on the Kickstarter page for The Feminist Photos.

The above image is one of my favorites from the series so far. Not only is the slogan one I can really get behind, but I think the pose shows how women can be strong AND beautiful. A month or so ago, a comics artist that I follow on Twitter posted a sketch of one of his female characters working out. She was a little more buff than the model is this photo, but nothing ridiculous. Someone actually told him that men didn't find muscular women attractive. REALLY? I mean, I'm not a man, but I think there are few things more beautiful than a woman with muscle definition.

Anyway, until recently, I never realized I was a feminist. I thought of feminists as activists. I figured if you weren't part of some specific group that was lobbying congress or protesting in the streets, you weren't a feminist. But it turns out that the very fact that I think that women should have equal pay, and control of our reproduction, and the right to marry other women, means that I am a feminist. I wish that I didn't have to be, though. I spend a lot of time getting sad and angry that I live in a world where any of that is still an issue. Most of the time I feel like I live in the future. Not only am I sitting here typing out something that can be read by people all over the world, but I also own a little phone that allows me to look up things on the internet, process credit cards, take pictures and video, and listen to music. Unfortunately I don't think our social mores are progressing as quickly as our technology is.

I hope you'll forgive me for getting a little political on my blog. I also hope that if you feel the same way that I do, that you'll consider supporting an artist who is raising awareness of feminist issues, and throw a few dollars into the Kickstarter.

Regular jewelry pushing resumes tomorrow. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment